It's nice feeling loved. It's wonderful having someone to hang around, so you don't have to be alone. It feels good saying the word, "Boyfriend."
He can be really sweet sometimes.
He has a lot going on right now....that's why he's treating you that way. It'll get better.
This is where I sigh because I know it won't get better. I've seen it too many times.
Let me tell you something, sweet friend: There's nothing more lonely than being in a bad relationship.
How Do I Know If I'm in a bad relationship?
Here are some common "red flags" to notice:
- He isolates you and doesn't want you to hang out with certain people.
- He only wants to be around you on his time.
- He doesn't like to spend time with your family.
- He is emotionally abusive and talks down to you.
- When he does something wrong, he turns it on you.
- He disrespects you in front of his friends.
- He wants to know all of your passwords.
- He makes you wear what he wants you to wear.
- He's always angry at you.
- He hits or physically hurts you.
But If I Break up With Him, I'll Be Alone
I'm not going to point out how many people you have in your life that will be there for you.
Instead, I'm going to let you know it'll be good for you to be alone, because then you can show yourself a little "self-love."
And you need this, my friend. You really do.
Taking time for self-love, or self-care, will not only help you gain more confidence, but it will also help you increase your motivation and decrease your stress. Self-care will lead you to be emotionally stable and make better choices. You'll learn not to depend on other people to make you feel this way.
Here's what you can do:
- Choose some wise friends to support you and make you feel confident.
- Join an activity group to find those friends. (After-School Activity, Church Youth Group, Dance or Pilates Class, Sports Team)
- Fight the urge to isolate yourself. Getting out to do fun things helps bring up your self-esteem.
- Find things that will help you relax and lower your heart rate.
Accepting love at all costs isn't worth it. It really isn't. You deserve a better boyfriend, and it's time you believed it.